Monday, April 18, 2011

SOARing in Wyoming with Chris Kiefer

We did many things on the final expedition. My favorite activities were rock climbing, riflery, and picking up trash for community service. Rock climbing was fun, even though I previously have not liked it. ON the trip I was able to work on my fear of rock climbing and managed to go about 4-5 times my height. Although that wasn't the most impressive I still did better than ever. I liked it because I had a great view of the mountain and because it proved to me that I can do anything I set my mind to.
Riflery was fun because I got to shoot a familiar gun to me. The .22 caliber rifle. I also got one of the best groupings of my group. We payed more attention to shooting in close patterns, rather than scoring. I also got to shoot a scoped .22, We had the choice to shoot a high caliber rifle or the scoped version of the ones we shot. If we got 3 or more in a cluster than we could shoot a shot or two or three with the better guns. In my experience with shooting I have learned that I prefer more accuracy than higher power. I found that I am a great shot. I also motivated well, even if I got a little competitive.
Finally, we picked up trash along the highway SOAR adopted. We had a contest to see who could find the most unique or interesting item. I tied with Alex. I had a hide-a-key box that had 4 keys in it. Alex had the back of a camouflage seat. I also found the lid of an ammo case and an unfired .20 gauge shell not far ahead. One of the staff, Maria, and I made up stories for our interesting pieces of trash. I made up a story for the ammo box and the shell that there was a major storm and the ammo box went flying out of a guys truck and exploded into several pieces. He managed to save all of the ammo except for the shotgun shell and lost the lid in all of the mud. We made up other stories for a while and it was a really interesting experience. I also enjoyed picking up trash because I know that it is important for the environment and for a better looking highway.
Final Expedition was one of the most filled expeditions and I enjoyed being able to do so much in so little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment